The Dutch Reformed Church in Belleville was first built in 1697. It has been rebuilt three time, in 1725, 1807 and again in 1853. 63 Revolutionary War veterans as well as Henry Rutgers (for whom Rutgers University is named) are buried in the church cemetery. The church is a historic building, but it’s probably more well known for a tunnel that may or may not link the church to buildings on the other side of the river in Lyndhurst.
The tunnels are a true urban legend. Several people have claimed to have been in them, but no one can provide proof. Supposedly the tunnels go underneath the Passaic River and bring you into a building somewhere on the other side. If they exist, these tunnels go back to the Revolutionary War and were used by American soldiers to sneak across the river to scout and attack enemy forces. It is believed that George Washington actually worshiped here at one time during the war, but that does not prove that tunnels exist.
Here’s a collection of photos of the church.